Sunday, May 8, 2011

The real (and astonishing) Aussie Carnival

It was not easy to pick the title for this article, because the “Aussie Carnival” assigned to this event is just my interpretation. Other very valuable titles could have been: “party of the year” “welcoming party in my new Aussie life” “fancy dress birthday party” “typical Aussie birthday party” and “birthday party of my great Aussie buddy James”.

Why did I choose this title then? Partially because I was disappointed from the Carnival in Sydney (both events date back last March) where little could be seen by the majority of the croud on the street and at the same time I was looking for a way to place this party at the highest rank of coolest events possible.

What am I talking about? My friend James had birthday in March and invited a large crowd of friends at his place in Elizabeth Bay, not far away from city centre. James came up with a brilliant idea: he organized a fancy dress party where every attendee had to wear a costume whose name started with his initials (failing to carry out dressing instructions might have meant undergoing the terribly feared - and terribly loved - beer bong, please see below). His initials of name and surname are J and H; therefore you could (and had to!) wear anything that started with one of those 2 letters! Example: Jennifer Lopez or Hugh Grant (hold on a sec, how would one dress in order to be similar to Jennifer Lopez? With a sign on the butt written on it “insured for 1 million $"? and Hugh Grant? Wearing a t-shirt saying “Irony is one of many services I offer” and holding a ferrari model size in your hand? Why not?? But mainly, why am I thinking at that only now?!).

I was overexcited: not only my very first party in Australia was about to take place, but also I had to dress up for it! I adore wear costumes! I feel I can express my creativity, it gives me a set of jokes out-of-the-box for the night, a safe and well thought through chat up line with girls and probably – I should not say this – my compelling need to be different, someone else every day, would satisfy my multiple personality...order; it's not a disorder because I feel completely fine in this way to face life.

I must admit I have been a bit lazy and very busy, so instead of let my legs do the job and let them take me to do creative shopping, I used my brain to create a costume with already owned material. Having just moved over from Europe I have very little!

In short, I came up with the Hunchback from Notredame idea, just placing a towel on my back under my shirt. Walking like a cripple completed the picture!

The party started officially (if Facebook states it, then it's official) at 7 pm but being accustomed to Italian party times I got there at 9 thinking I would be the first, but the party was already full on!



(beer bong above)

A multitude of colours stroke me straight away. The flat was packed. Laughter were at every corner. Life can be so strange, one moment you know nobody and after 15 minutes and 2 beers you are fully integrated in this new party network (Party network: the new-generation social network after Linked In!)

The pictures speak by themselves: James was a jockey (new word for me; learning having fun works the best), the horse could not miss, then we had a janitor, Jimi Hendrix, hippies, hawaiians, the Joker (from the scene in the hospital in the movie “The Dark Knight”), Jack and the Beanstalk, a Japanese, Hotmail (!!), a hang-glider, a James Bond, hooters waitresses (not necessarily real women...) and few others.

The peak of the night was when James did his speech on the top of the horse...which most suitable parter and location could have he found?! None! :-D

The night was real fun and we continued it in a club in Kings Cross after spending 1 hour getting everybody out of the flat (it was so cool that nobody wanted to leave!). We reached Kings Cross by walk and on the way I changed costumed and turned into a hawaiian because my new friend Marcello had to leave earlier. This was great luck because after 2 hours being a certain character I was getting bored :-P I even got inside the club, Kit and Kaboodle, as first (I must have done a positive impression on the bouncer with my colourful skirt hehe), the only trouble I had is when a group of blondies asked for me skirt, then I thought: “well, it's a first step along the undressing path so why not?!” :-) but my wallet came out of my pocket in this awkward movement ( I don't usually take off skirts) and got stolen from the ground before I realised! :-(

Luckily I found it again after one hour at the counter with no money but with my documents and my cards, pfui!

On the other side I felt a bit of thrill and adrenaline that always helps in never feeling bored... I could have almost thank that lovely greedy person! LOL

A special thank to James who made such a great night possible and who came up with such a awesome idea. Thanks mate!

Oh, I forgot to mention my chat-up line for that night! Ok, it was more or less the following: “Tonight I am the Hunchback from Notredame de Paris, and so French, and therefore very ugly....but let me remove the towel and I turn into the real me: a handsome Italian! ;-)” (with relative heavy change in expression and posture) Did it work? Well, considering that caressing a Hooter waitress has always been my dream... we can say yes! :-D

3 comments:

  1. You know, when I stole your wallet, my intent was to make the night more enjoyable for you, I'm glad it worked :)... jk!! Sounds like it was a great party, nice title by the way. I'll say the French guys wouldn't like your article so much though :P The only thing that surprises me is that you lie to your readers... JLo didn't get her butt insured, that's an old rumor!!! You check facts for Libya but not for JLo... Snob!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The French guys and I have a very special relationship...:-P AN OLD RUMOUR?!?! OMG Lexy keep me updated with the glossy news!
    Ok from now on you'll be my source for this kind of info around jet set and metropolitan legends ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I most definitely will sir, I'll double check everything through TMZ! Now post a new article so I can post other very smart & totally necessary comments :)

    ReplyDelete