Sunday, June 5, 2011

A RECIPE OF HAPPINESS



Ingredients:
  • 1 Friday warm evening

  • 1 Beck's

  • 1 Sydney

  • 1 MX

All train commuters in Sydney, admittedly or not, read one particular newspaper, MX.

Even all those who have their own book, who watch movies on the Ipad, who resume dreams abruptly interruped by the alarm clock, intellectuals (any real intellectual left?), students, businessmen, all of them read MX, guaranteed.

So what is this newspaper about? It is a daily printed, free, light-reading, wide-ranging newspaper distributed in most train stations in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.


On its less popular and most valuable “sibling” free and weekly newspaper The Epoch Times you can read about:

  • How Australia is left behind in climate opportunities,

  • Interviews on former Chinese communist leaders now refugee in US and fighting for Chinese democracy,

  • Millions of girls aborted in India;

  • Brazilian activists shot dead in the defense of the Earth's lungs Amazonia… and much more.


Knowing what is really going on in the world is crucial and makes you knowledgeable and smart...but how happy do you feel afterwords? I personally feel AWARE, and therefore mostly sad and powerless.


On the other hand on MX you can find articles on:

  • Mel Gibson at Cannes

  • Gwen Stefani getting more undressed in the last year

  • Arnold Schwarznegger's 20 years old love affair

  • Fashion, make up … and much more


Knowing what specific rich strangers do is totally not relevant for me. BUT, there are a couple of “special sections” towards the end that literally call me for being read as soon as I can get hold of a MX copy.

One is called “Here's looking at you”.

In this section messages to attractive strangers can be posted. Usually it's about people you see or meet in the train or train station and you are too shy to approach and so you write a message in this section hoping that that person reads it on that day and has the faintest idea of who you might be. Practically a “love” section. Some people are apparently not only shy, but also obsessive, secret observers and pretty full on, like this message lets transpire: “to the girl always wearing ..bla bla..who gets the 9:32 train from … bla bla I think I love you. Let's make cute babies together” :-O

So you always end up reading this section because you want to see how people are on and also secretely you hope that someone is finding you irresistible even if it would be just to boost your self appreciation.

But what really cracked me up last Friday evening after a long week at work and 1 beer with colleagues are 2 other sections: “Lost in love” and “Overheard”. I was feeling tipsy and relaxed, I was in the I-would-like-to-hug-the-whole-world mood so I just needed few silly jokes to make me laugh without end.

In the “Lost in love” section, one person posts a brief question and few answers are to be found below.

The other day the question was: “One of my best mates says that my features are what he looks for in a woman. Should I be worried?” Apart from: “nah, it's just a compliment” and “yes, he probably thinks about you in the shower” I found this answer hilarious: “only if you are a man”.

The “Overheard” section is a list of sentences/dialogues that could be heard in the station environment by other passengers. Examples:

  • Guy 1: “Microsoft bought Skype for 8.5 billion dollars”

  • Guy 2: “What a bunch of idiots. I downloaded it for free”


  • Station announcement: “The next train to depart from.... oh it's gone”


  • Girl 1: "My face is so oily"
  • Girl 2: "My face is really greasy"
  • Girl 3: "Have you been rubbing McDonald's on your face? That's the only time mine is greasy and oily"

  • Guy: "Do you know that my grandfather actually had sex with Mary Poppins? he said it was amazing"

  • Girl on platform: "OMG, they have a vending machine on that train! Oh, wait, it's a reflection"

  • Boy 1: “Did Bin Laden even exist?”

  • Boy 2: “Of course he did, he was on South Park”


  • Guy looking at a giant billboard: “Hey, do you think that's a touchscreen?!”


  • Guy 1: “I got a D in my history test yesterday”

  • Guy 2: “That's pretty bad”

  • Guy 1: “Nah, my teacher's really hot and she distracts me, so it's a good result”


And there is always a funny short comics to complete the picture:

So guys... maybe all this was not funny to you, but hey, did you follow the instructions and applied the ingredients I suggested? ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment