Monday, January 17, 2011

First week end in Sydney: magnificent!








Like in every new environment or situation I feel a bit rusty and lost: there is no routine and you have to think and logically implement every single stupid action: where do I put the room key? How should I dress for breakfast? Where did I leave my wallet? Oh in the bedroom, I have to go back … again (3rd time in 3 minutes).
If the temperature, the nature, the city shape give me eletric new sensations, the full Irish (or british) breakfast provides me with some emotional stability =)
In this first week end I decide not to lose time and “attack” Sydney!
I kicked it off by doing a pre check of the Oracle location on saturday morning, in order to understand how to get there on Monday morning.
In this business district whose area is called North Ryde, many multinationals decided to set their Sydney branch such as Microsoft, Honeywell, Cytrix, Fujitsu. Then I did some high tech shopping (new cool phone, yeah! It's an LG GT540; I am still cursing because I am not used to the touchscreen but hope for the best) and then I found myself in a square, opened my map and did the “boh” face, meaning...I don't have a clue! Lol
After feeling stupid and feeling observed and laughed at by all passers by I realized, by checking another map, that the important Market City I had just visited was not marked: aaarrgh!!
So I walked north passing the Sydney Entertainment center and felt inside a science fiction movie: did you guys know that a monorail uplifted train passes through Sydney? It looks so futuristic!
Shortly afterwards I see the sign of “Darling Harbour” described by a friend who has been there – I quote – as “the place where you can find everything: restaurants, bars, pubs, discos...discos...everything...you got me right?? ;-P”
Fountains are common, nature is everywhere you lie your eyes on, entertainments abundant, and tall buildings scattered around remind you of the strength of this country.
In Darling Harbour you can find the Chinese Gardens which I did not visit but I will; by the way, Asians are many in Sydney, practically everywhere! I don't know exactly why but I like it, maybe because this reminds me of my recent trip to Asia :-)
The city is very liveable, people are kind, friendly, relaxed, they smile when talking to you!
You pass under a bridge and you find palms: the message is clear, “we cooperate with the environment”(see picture). I would like to know how environmental friendly they really are: I am just oblivious of this.
I walk around the Cockle Bay, walk along Market Street, enter Hyde Park and the Saint Mary's cathedral is facing me (the Australian founders had really little fantasy for the names, is it Sydney or London?!).
Here again, flowers, trees, statues, plants and fountains. I am sure some children would playfully imagine to be adventurous explorers.
The jet lag was not totally over yet so at around 7pm I suddenly felt weak.
On Sunday, sunny day – finallyyyy – 30 degrees, there was only one option to me: the famous Bondi beach! (see 2 pictures) From Chatswood, north of Sydney, I had to take 2 trains and 1 bus, so it is not very fast (it takes longer than from Bologna driving to Rimini!) but when I got there I was overjoyed; the street is in a much higher position so you have straight the complete overview of the beach, it's just wow. Blue water, large sand beach, trees, cliffs and building surrounding it... and bikinis!! hihi
The sun was very strong so I stayed only 2 hours … and I took a bath people!! Waves are so strong you cannot swim at all. Everybody, with AND without surfboards, was just waiting for the waves... at the end of the day, what else could you do?? nothing actually.
Jogging before dinner and then ready for my first working day!

No comments:

Post a Comment